he police have routinely informed PST about the man in his 30s who ran down and killed a man in his 20s in Steinkjer on the night of Sunday, reports NRK Trøndelag.
It was a little after 2 o’clock last night that the now-arrested man drove into a crowd that was on a pavement in Kongens gate and seriously injured one man who later died, while two others were slightly injured.
According to witnesses that have spoken to local newspaper Steinkjer24, the collision happened outside a kebab restaurant, writes Aftenposten.
The man behind the fatal hit-and-run, who is hospitalised and under guard, was drunk and has not yet been questioned, So far he has only been charged with negligent driving.
He will be questioned later today.
The accused’s defender, Anne Marstrander-Berg, tells NRK that the man is in distress.
-He has just now had the charge read out, and is distraught and doesn’t know what to say, says Marstrander-Berg about her client.
They talked before the charge was read out, Marstrander-Berg believes the man does not have a great understanding of what had happened.
-He must be examined by a doctor before being questioned, says the lawyer.
Police on the scene say that the collision appears to have been intentional, and national armaments (armed police officers) have been deployed.
The motive for the action is currently unknown, and the situation appears unclear. We have therefore decided to introduce temporary national armament, until we have a clearer picture of the situation, says police director Benedicte Bjørnland.